The Best Types of CBD Products Gummies, Oils, Topical Creams
Learning about and understanding CBD’s advantages for your personal use is one thing, but deciding on a particular type of product that works for you (or finding one you enjoy taking) can be different altogether. Indeed, dozens and dozens of various “forms” of CBD are out there on the market, from standard oral tinctures that you place below the tongue to edible gummies, soft gel capsules, and topical creams that you massage into the skin. Any companies are also developing CBD suppositories as a consumer. It can naturally make things a little difficult when it comes time to choosing a CBD-based product that’s suitable for you and your needs.
Core Product Types
Every CBD product in the market is created utilizing each CBD extract and an isolate or some combination. These kinds of CBD are also often sold as standalone products. Following these two forms of CBD is extremely helpful before jumping down into the many sub-product types here.
Also, if you’re new to CBD, possibilities are you’ve heard terms like ‘CBD isolate,’ ‘broad-spectrum,’ and ‘full-spectrum.’ These terms are used to define the primary forms of extracted CBD – often called spectrums. We also recommend reading our article defining the different CBD oil spectrums for further context on this topic.
Isolate is accurate as it sounds – pure isolated Cannabidiol (CBD). This crystalline substance comes in each slab and white powder form and contains 99%+ potency of the single cannabinoid compound. Several people find comfort in isolates because they contain no THC, which helps decrease drug trial risks.
A full-spectrum CBD extract is prepared using a CBD crystallization way related to what is described here at Summit Research and finally distilled to create an isolate. The resulting CBD isolate is then applied as an ingredient in many products we outline here or used as a standalone product.
How useful is Isolated CBD?
Though a ‘pure’ form of cannabidiol sounds very useful, isolated CBD is less efficient than full or broad-spectrum extracts. If you ingest the full cannabinoid and terpenoid profile that naturally happens in cannabis, you know many synergistic benefits that an isolate doesn’t present. The benefit of full-plant usage is known as the next effect.
Still, though isolate features a limited effectiveness profile, many users find isolated, usually used as an additive to increase CBD energy, to be useful.
Benefits of Using CBD Isolate
The following are some of the most popular benefits of wanting to use this product type:
- No THC
- Low Cost
- Extremely Versatile
How is CBD Isolate Used?
Like CBD extract, isolate naturally attaches to fatty acids like those found in oils like hemp, coconut, and MCT oil. This means that when mixed with water, the substance does not dissolve.
Isolate commonly used in the following ways:
- Mixed by a carrier oil to create an isolate-CBD oil tincture.
- Added to Capsules
- Used in Edibles
- Smoked / Dabbed Alone
- Added to
- Marijuana Products to Increased CBD Concentration
Sub product types
There are a broad variety of end products in the store. All are made using an extract or isolate as an active ingredient giving CBD and other cannabis content. Those product types are design for particular applications or requirements, and all carry a unique set of properties that we discuss in detail in every section.
Cannabidiol is growing an increasingly popular ingredient in existing and new beauty products. These products give additional benefits to traditional products that help users reduce swelling, aches and provide additional relaxing qualities.
Common CBD Beauty Products Include:
- Moisturizing Gels/Creams/Lotions
- Bath Bombs
- Beard Oil
CBD capsules are easily a pill-form of CBD extract that is swallowed like any other supplement. These capsules come in soft gels or a two-piece capsule. There are a pair of main types of capsules – a liquid-containing oil-based capsule and a powder-containing capsule.
What is in these Capsules?
The content of these capsules can range from company to company and contain the following ingredients:
- CBD Extract or CBD Isolate
- The contents of this CBD concentrate in the capsule are the key to the pill’s overall quality. High-quality capsules should add an extract that comes from a high-quality hemp source. A complete or broad-spectrum base will give you the best possible benefit because they utilize the entourage effect. Isolate-based capsules will be less useful as they only contain a single CBD cannabinoid.
- Oil Carrier (Hemp, Coconut, or MCT oil)
- These products use an oil carrier that increases the body’s ability to consume the cannabinoids contained in the capsules. CBD and another cannabinoids are fat-soluble – not water-soluble. That means they break down and connect to fats like the ones found in coconut, hemp, or MCT oil. Once stored in fat, CBD and different cannabinoids are faster and effectively absorbed through the body.
- Optional Additional Ingredients
- You may see other ingredients in some capsules, including other herbs or supplement additives. These are all ‘optional’ because they give additional benefits but do not influence CBD content’s benefits.
Benefits of Using CBD Capsules
The following are a few of the most common advantages of choosing to use this product sort:
- Accurate Dosing
- Ease of Use
- No ‘Marijuana’ Taste
- Long-Lasting Effects
How effective are CBD Capsules?
When using CBD orally, the substance passes through the liver, which reduces the frequency. Just a certain percentage then makes it through to the bloodstream to be used by the body. The concept is often referred to as bioavailability or how much and how fast a substance is absorbed into the body to be used.
Taking oil-based capsules orally is one of the least bioavailable methods of taking CBD – meaning that a small amount (5-10%) of the compound makes it into the bloodstream when related to another methods of ingestion.
CBD concentrates are high potency extracts from the hemp plant. These products appear in different types depending on the extract source and method used. But, this product form has its roots in marijuana culture.
How do You Use CBD Concentrates?
CBD concentrates are expected to be added to flower and smoked or dabbed alone via a traditional dab rig or wax pen vaporizer. A small quantity of the concentrate is heated and inhaled to provide the benefits to the user fast. Unusual marijuana users add CBD concentrate to their smoking routine because it assists to reduce the harsh high effects of high-THC use.
How effective is CBD Concentrates?
Inhaling CBD is one of the various bioavailable forms of ingesting CBD. The results come on in 2-5 minutes and last up to 3 hours. This fast and direct method of using CBD is preferred by many and avoided by many due to inhaling the substance. Concentrates much in terms of cannabinoid and terpene profile depending on their extract source. You can see isolates, full and broad-spectrum concentrates.
Types of CBD Concentrates
Many various types of concentrates available vary based on the method of extraction used to create the end product:
- Crumble is created with purging oils of a cannabis extract. The effect is a moist concentrate that ‘crumbles’ into pieces.
- Shatter is created with infusing terpenes into isolated slabs.
- Wax is a general term applied to describe CBD concentrates that feature a wax-like composure.
- Tempsolate is created with infusing terpenes into isolated powder, creating anything from a powder to a viscous mixture.
While it’s natural oil or isolated state, cannabidiol is hydrophobic, meaning it does not mix with water. Thanks to new advances in cannabis extraction technologies, there are new kinds of water-friendly CBD being developed. These products and termed ‘water-soluble,’ are opening a new world of possibilities and allowing CBD to be added to liquids in a stable form.
Today you can see a wide range of CBD-based drinks, including:
- Bottled CBD Water
- Energy Shots
- Powdered Drink Mixes
Beware as you shop that you’re not buying drinks with a non-water-soluble extract inside. Not only do these extracts not melt in the water, but they also lack the effectiveness of a water-soluble alternative.
Edibles are an excellent product for those who want a fun twist on taking CBD. These products are created with adding an extractor isolated into a wide variety of food products. Usually, these products come in the form of candies or baked goods. You’ll find gummies, suckers, chocolate, cookies, brownies, and much more.
The main advantage of CBD in an edible form is the ease of use and masking taste. Some people will have an issue eating a gummy bear, chocolate bar, cookie, or sucker. That means that almost anyone can give CBD a try without any doubt.
How effective are CBD Edibles?
CBD edibles span a broad range of effectiveness, depending on the contents. Several factors cause low energy:
- These edible forms need to be processed through the liver, which decreases the concentration. Edibles, including oils and fats, will help more of the CBD absorb within the bloodstream.
- Those products are often made from CBD isolate, which lacks the following effect of a high-quality full-spectrum extract.
Individuals aren’t the just ones who can use the benefits of CBD use. Dogs, cats, horses, elephants and other animals can also! There is a wide variation of pet-specific CBD products in the store, from treats to tinctures designed to help increase your pet’s life.
These products are specifically designed for animal use, usually carefully crafted for appropriate dosing or application methods for pets. There is an extensive range of product types available specifically designed for animal use. Some typical examples involve:
- Cookies / Treats
Edibles are a great product for those who want a fun twist on taking CBD. These products are created with adding an extractor isolated into a wide variety of food products. Usually, these products come in the form of candies or baked goods. You’ll get gummies, suckers, cookies, chocolate, brownies, and much more extra.
The main benefit of CBD in an edible form is the comfort of use and masking taste. Some people will have an issue eating a gummy bear, chocolate bar, cookie, or sucker. This means that most anyone can give CBD a try without any doubt.
How effective are CBD Edibles?
CBD edibles span a broad range of effectiveness, depending on the contents. A couple of factors causes low energy:
- These edible forms must be prepared through the liver, which reduces the concentration. Edibles containing oils and fats will also help the CBD absorb into the bloodstream.
- These products are often made of CBD isolate, which lacks the following effect of a high-quality full-spectrum extract.
Usually applied to as CBD oil, a tincture is an oil-carried form of CBD consumed sublingually by placing it under the tongue. The liquid product usually comes in a small bottle by a dropper. The liquid inside is comprised of various components:
- CBD Extract or CBD Isolate Base
- The base gives the product its medicinal properties at providing the tincture’s phytocannabinoid and terpene profile. An extract base will usually include a full-spectrum of cannabinoids, terpenes, and different plant materials. An isolate will give single-molecule CBD content.
- A Carrier Oil
- The carrier in a tincture mixes with the extract or isolate to balance potency and help give the CBD and different molecules to the user. These oils often add hemp oil or MCT oil. Those oils help the CBD absorb into the stomach walls and membranes inside the mouth. Some less popular carriers include alcohol, either vegetable glycerin.
- Optional Additives (Sweeteners, Flavors, Terpenes & More)
- Behind the two key components listed above, you may get a broad range of extra additives in tinctures. Those may be added for a variety of purposes. Some of the various common include sweeteners or flavoring for those who do not use the grassy flavor. These additives may too be used to provide extra health benefits – like adding other terpenes or oils.
How effective are Oil-Based CBD Tinctures?
CBD tinctures are consumed by sublingual administration. These oils are placed below the tongue and held for 1-2 minutes before doing swallowed. These molecules carried in the oil are absorbed into the bloodstream by the mucous membranes found below the tongue, making them faster running, with only a slightly lower duration than swallowing capsules.
Sublingual application has an average start time of 20-40 minutes before the effects are felt. The duration of the results lasts for up to 6 hours. Compared to oil-based capsules, they are the best choice.
Topicals / Balms / Rubs
Ingesting or inhaling CBD isn’t the only method to enjoy the effects of the benefit-providing cannabinoid. There are endocannabinoid receptors in the brain, during the nervous system, and in the skin. Skin-based receptors mean that using topical directly to a sore or troubled area can provide localized relief.
CBD topical comes in a wide range of products, including balms and salves. These products are designed to assist in a kind of specialized methods.
What are CBD Topicals Used For?
These topicals are applied for a broad range of applications. Any of the most popular include:
- Muscle soreness
- Massage Oil
- Skin Condition
Related to topical solutions, transdermal patches are an effective way to use CBD in the skin. Patches benefit from giving long-lasting relief for users with chronic issues compared to a traditional balm or salve.
These stick-on patches highlight CBD infused strips placed onto veinous areas of the body like the wrist. These patches are designed to give slow-release, long-lasting results for the user. These patches are helpful because they hold the cannabinoid against the skin for such a long time compared to a topical rub-on.
How do Transdermal Patches Work?
The mystery to these patches is that they must provide a home, not a great home, to CBD and other cannabis materials. If put upon the skin, the patch’s contents must leave the patch and enter the skin layers. This is done by using diffusion carriers and enhancers. These additives in the patch assistant push the cannabinoids in the area of the skin.
Once this patch’s contents reach the skin, it is taken into the bloodstream, and the effects take hold from there. Multiple users find that the slow release and simple way of use make these patches a great solution.
Vaping CBD is related to any different type of vaping – a CBD extract or isolate is vaporized by a traditional vape pen or mod and inhaled. Of all the ways of taking CBD, inhaling has the fastest onset thanks to the high bioavailability of inhaling the molecule. There is a variation of CBD vape products available on the store, including this:
Disposable Vape Pens
Disposable vape pens are one of the simplest ways to start vaping CBD for someone among no experience. Those pens come pre-filled with a CBD vape oil. The all-in-one unit features a battery direct connected to an atomizer or clearomizer. Vape until the tank is empty and disposes of the pen. These disposable pens are an excellent way to find if vaping is good for you.
Vape cartridges are pre-filled by a CBD extract / thinning agent combos or distillate. Screw the cartridge on the end of your battery and begin vaping. Several commonly, those cartridges use a standard 510 thread, compatible with standard pen style batteries. You’ll get both refillable and disposable cartridges on the market.
Vape Oil / Liquid
Likewise, called vape juice or e-juice, a CBD vape oil is the liquid content that is heated, turned to vapor, or inhaled when vaping. The liquid is sold as a standalone product, usually in a squeeze bottle or tincture dropper. You can utilize this liquid to load refillable cartridges for use in a vape pen or vape mod. Certain products contain:
- CBD Isolate or CBD Extract
- The CBD content is presented with a cannabis extraction either in an isolated or extract oil.
- Thinning Agents
- You’ll typically get traditional vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol mixes. MCT oil is also growing in demand as a carrier, thanks to preliminary research pointing to its possible use as a thinning agent.
- Some companies add natural or unnatural flavors to their juices to enhance the flavor of these vape juices. You’ll also be able to make unflavored products to which you can add your flavoring too.
Water Soluble / Emulsified CBD
Being a hydrophobic compound, CBD and another cannabis molecules separate from the water just like any other oil. New advances in technology have allowed companies to produce water-friendly CBD products.
These new products use different ways to create different CBD products, including liposomal emulsions, microemulsions, and nanoemulsions. There are a few basic types of water-soluble products remaining created today for more details on this process.
Those capsules are created utilizing a water-soluble CBD extract. The result is a product that increases the low bioavailability problems of traditional oil-based CBD capsules. Water-soluble capsules feature 5x to the effectiveness, meaning less product is waste and decreased onset time.
Water-soluble hemp extract powder does a versatile product that provides the user to mix CBD into almost anything. Because this powder dissolves into water and oil like traditional CBD extract, it can be combined with foods, liquids, and. These create one of the most versatile products in the store and make CBD very available.
Those tinctures are produced using a water-soluble CBD extract. The effect is a product that improves the low bioavailability problems of traditional oil-based CBD tinctures. Water-soluble sublingual administration features up 5x to the effectiveness, meaning less product is wasted, and the onset time is decreased.
The type of CBD product that you take individually should come down to what exactly you’re wanting (and expecting) to take out of the product. If the taste is of no interest to you and you don’t mind the slight inconvenience of having to place oil droplets beneath your tongue, a high-quality CBD oil is but the best and most reliable method of consumption. However, suppose you’re looking for a “taster” option or would like to be able to take CBD at work or out in public in a more discreet manner. In that case, CBD gummies are an attractive option that is becoming increasingly potent and useful for a wide range of conditions. Common CBD gummies these days give doses upwards of 25 mg for a single gummy, which is a full serving that gives relief for many ailments, both physical and mental. Whatever kind of CBD you choose to take, make sure you buy a reputable, well-made, reliable product – and have fun shopping!